Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Week 78 (6/27/11) Email to Family

Hey everyone!
     Not a whole lot to report from this end. Yesterday one of the soccer bigs, a team called River-it would be like the equivalent of the Lakers in basquet or the Steelers in football-that has more championships than any other here, fell to Belgrano in an historical soccer match leaving River descending to the B league. Every year the best 2 B go up and the worst two A go down and they have a playoff of the next 2 worst in the A league against the next best 2 of the B league and if the B league team wins they switch leagues. River was the 4th worst and Belgrano was the 4th best. I didn't watch the match -obviously- but River lost and their fans went crazy. They destroyed their own stadium breaking all the windows, breaking the banisters and hand rails and using them as weapons they attacked the police, wounding at least 15 with a death somewhere in the mix-I'm not sure from which side. The fans from the other team couldn't leave the stadium and were stuck in their own section waiting for the mess to clear up. It was pretty crazy. We saw part of it on the news last night at somebodies house. You guys should see if you can find any videos of it. 
     Elder Sypherd was going to baptize Tania(11) this week but she got sick so we'll be doing that this Saturday. Tania's older brother got baptized in February and she is more than ready to get baptized. She's really smart, understands everything we teach and loves coming to church. She's just shy so she never wanted to get baptized in the past because she didn't know what to expect.
     This week could be my last here with Elder Sypherd; next week is transfer week. I'd be down for another 6 with Sypherd but I'd like to go to a different area. I'm hoping for an area change. I'm not sure what is going to happen. This is probably the transfer that I am the most unsure about what's going to happen. Usually I have known if I was going to stay or go but I have no idea this time around. Next week you'll know!
     That's good to hear that Max is back at home. I hope you guys are enjoying the summer. Its really cold here. Too cold. I'm more of a summer guy. I won't get summer again until June 21, 2012.:( Almost a whole year! A lady in our ward washed our clothes this week and now all of our clothes smell like fish. I put on my sweatshirt last night and I said to Sypherd that it smelled like fish and he didn't believe me. Then this morning when he got dressed he yelled to me from the other room, my clothes smell like fish! Haha.
     We were hoping to play tennis today, potentially our last together. We were excited to play, but then Sypherd had to go to capital to do some paper work so I just played soccer in Mayol with the other missionaries. There is a court close by our pench and I wanted to take advantage and play some tennis on clay-its pretty cheap at this place too-to see what its like but I think I may have missed my chance.
     Things are going well here. Its hard to believe that I've only got 6 months left. It seems like little yet it seems so far away still. I'm glad to be a missionary serving the Lord, but I will be happy to be with you guys again. I love you guys lots. Thanks for the support.
Love, Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment